Graduation Checklist for 2019
1. Apply to Graduate
Candidates who are scheduled to graduate in May must apply for graduation, using Albert, by Sunday, February 3, 2019 in order to receive an invitation. Please note that receipt of an invitation should not be considered official notice of graduation. Such notice must come from the Office of the University Registrar. For information regarding graduation application deadlines, please click here.
Invitations will be emailed mid-March to your NYU email address. If you do not receive your Convocation invitation by April 1, please contact the Office at email@example.com to verify your graduation status and email address.
3. 100 Nights Before Commencement – Wednesday, February 13th
Attend 100 Nights Before Commencement on February 13 from 6:00 to 8:00 PM in the Rosenthal Pavilion at the Kimmel Center. This annual fair provides information on school-specific graduation ceremonies, Commencement and Grad Alley, cap and gown rental, graduation photos, alumni associations, and a variety of other graduate-related resources.
Tickets for the Graduate Ceremony
Each participating graduate and candidate for graduation is eligible to bring up to four guests and will be provided with four guest tickets and one graduate ticket. You will be able to reserve tickets online between March 15 and April 26.
Each participating graduate and candidate for graduation is eligible to bring up to four guests (graduates do not need a ticket for this event) . You will be able to reserve tickets online between March 15 and April 26.
If the degree candidate cannot pick up All University Commencement tickets in person, a third party may pick them up with the following documentation:
- Degree candidate's NYU ID (actual ID or photocopy of both sides of ID card, including N# on reverse side).
- Photo ID of the person picking up tickets.
- Third Party Pick-Up Authorization Form (form to be posted later) completed and printed.
If someone else is also picking up your academic attire, make two copies of these documents. One set will be collected as proof of third party ticket pick-up and will not be returned to you.
For Inquiries Regarding:
NYU School of Professional Studies Convocation
Phone: (212) 992-9100
Academic Attire, Announcement Cards, and Class Rings
Address Change, Graduation Status, Diplomas
Student Services Center
Phone: (212) 998-4260
Address: 383 Lafayette Street, 1st Floor
For more info click here
Alumni Activities, Benefits and Services
Office of Alumni Relations
Phone: (212) 998-7060
NYU Commencement Portraits
NYU Photo Bureau
Phone: (212) 998-6826
Please Note: Tickets will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. We encourage you to book your tickets early. You must bring your NYU ID to pick up your tickets and the ID will be swiped before you can claim your tickets. Tickets are not transferable.
Convocation Ticket Distribution Schedule
Graduate and Undergraduate Students
Please Note: Information on ticket pick-up will be posted in mid-February.
5. Order Tickets for the NYU Commencement Ceremony and for Grad Alley
If you plan to attend the University Commencement and Grad Alley, you must order tickets between Monday, March 18 and Friday, May 10. Further details are available here.
6. Order Academic Attire
Graduates and degree candidates who wish to participate in the NYU School of Professional Studies Convocation and in the University Commencement ceremonies are required to wear academic attire. Academic attire rental orders can be placed from Monday, March 18 through Tuesday, April 16. For details visit the Herff Jones website.
Please Note: Since the rented attire has been folded and placed in a bag for distribution, it is recommended that you pick it up in time to have it pressed before the ceremony.
The Academic Attire distribution schedule is available here:
Academic attire will be available for pick up on the following dates:
- Tuesday, May 14, 2019: 11:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. (on-time orders only)
- Wednesday, May 15, 2019: 11:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. (on-time orders only)
- Thursday, May 16, 2019: 11:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m.
- Friday, May 17, 2019: 11:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
- Monday, May 20, 2019: 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, May 21, 2019: 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
No attire will be distributed on Commencement Day, Wednesday, May 22.
7. Dean's Exception for the All-University Commencement and SPS Convocations
As approved by the University’s Deans Council, candidates for graduation who have up to two courses outstanding to complete their degrees may petition their school dean for eligibility to participate in the All-University Commencement and the SPS Convocations. The two courses must be completed by the end of the summer. Students with extenuating circumstances (for example, international students whose visas expire or who are subject to travel restrictions) will have their situations reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
To request a Dean’s Exception:
- Obtain a Dean’s Exception form from your advisor.
- Fill out and sign the form and return to your advisor. Make sure you receive a copy of the instructions.
- Your advisor will submit the form to the Office of Student Affairs for approval. Once approved, the form will be returned to you at which time you will be able to order your tickets and your academic attire.
- Dean’s Exceptions will not be able to order All-University Commencement tickets in advance, but must follow the in-person request procedure outlined on the Dean’s Exception form. They will be limited to two guest tickets.
- Dean’s Exceptions will be able to order their SPS Convocation tickets, once they have received the approved Exception Form. They will receive four guest tickets.
- The student must submit the completed and signed Dean’s Exception form when picking up his/her Commencement and SPS Convocation tickets at the Kimmel Center beginning Thursday, May 16.
Returning Academic Attire
If you are planning to attend both the NYU Commencement and NYUSPS Convocation, you must hold on to your academic attire after NYU Commencement. You will need your attire for the NYUSPS Convocation ceremony and will be able to return it on site, at the end of the Convocation ceremony.