In light of the School's decision to phase out the certificate credential, it is no longer allowing students to declare candidacy for certificates programs.
Students who have not declared their certificate candidacy have a range of other options that they can pursue to build their professional knowledge and skill sets. These include Career Advancement Courses and Diploma Programs. both of which provide immersion in programs of study that meet your needs depending upon where you find yourself in your career.
If you have questions, please contact the Office of Noncredit Student Services at 212-998-7200 or at email@example.com.
For those who have declared certificate candidacy, the following benefits remain active for the duration of your studies:
- NYU student photo ID, which entitles students to the following privileges while they are enrolled in course(s) applicable to the certificate:
- Access to NYU libraries
- NYU Computer Store educational discount pricing
- Access to the NYU Kimmel Center for University Life
- Invitations to NYU School of Professional Studies events
- Access to certain services through the NYU Home website
- Upon completion of a certificate program, students receive a $100 discount voucher toward an NYU School of Professional Studies Career Advancement Course or Diploma (valid for one year).
- Students have up to two years from the Fall 2015 semester to complete their certificate program.
Please Note: Students should review the Summer 2015 version of the Bulletin for the last iteration of their certificate and should use this as a guide to complete their studies.
- To obtain the certificate, an overall B average or above must be maintained and candidacy must be declared.
- Once all of the grades are posted for classes comprising the completion of the entire certificate, students can request the paper copy of their certificate.
- Certificate candidacy may be revoked if academic performance is not maintained.
- The NYU School of Professional Studies transcript of a declared candidate will identify certificate completion.
- Substitute classes require approval by the academic department.
- Program administrators may authorize in writing substitutions of specified courses in individual situations (maximum of one substitution for a four-course certificate; two substitutions for a certificate requiring five or more courses).
- Certificate candidacy may be revoked if student does not adhere to conduct policies.
- There is a one-time $5 fee for the NYU student photo ID card. The card is active for the entire semester in which a registered student is enrolled in an approved certificate course and is deactivated when the student is not enrolled in an applicable course.
- Students must satisfy the certificate program requirements listed in the Bulletin published for the term in which they register for the first course to the certificate.
- Regular class attendance is required for a course to be applied toward a certificate.
- NYU School of Professional Studies courses may be applied to only one certificate program. No transfer work or waiver of the total number of courses required is permitted.
- Only one certificate may be issued in a given semester.
- The name printed on the certificate matches the name on the student’s NYU transcript.
- Certificates offered through the International Institute for Learning (IIL) and the Dalton Education Certificate Program in Financial Planning do not require declaration.
- Approval for exception to any of the above requirements must be obtained in advance in writing from the program office.
Note: Departments may establish further requirements for their certificate programs. Check individual certificate listings for details.